The HF List: Oh What a Tangled Web...Monday, July 21, 2008
I remember those days, maybe 10 years ago, when the internet was not the behemoth that it is today. The web was there, but it wasn't so world wide. Today, most people spend a good portion of their workday on the internet, not to mention their downtime. Why buy an encyclopedia when you can Google? Why go to the store when you can have it shipping for free? Words like "google" and "netflix" have become verbs, as in, "He seems nice, but did you google him yet?" or "I'm not going to spend 10 bucks to see that movie. I'll probably just Netflix it." Women's Health ran an article in its June 2008 issue about the 100 Most Useful Sites on the Web. Click here for the full article, but I included my favorites here:
1. Working out is tough, but it gets a bit easier if you've got a good soundtrack to jam to. The best songs for major cardio are in the 120-150 bpm (beats per minute) range. To find out if your songs make the cut, bring up Convert-a-lot and you'll have the perfect mix in no time!
Don't ask him to do anything naughty. He won't like it!
2. Don't waste time on just any website. Waste time with Subservient Chicken. It's a guy in a chicken suit that will do your bidding. Just don't ask him to get naked. He is not cool with that!3. Next time you're invited to a dinner party, don't bring just any ol' bottle of booze. Check out the recommendations at Cork'd and you'll be on the guest list for every dinner party to come!
4. Ever spent way to much time searching for an 800 number only to give up? I have and it is frustrating to no end. Go to Hard To Find 800 Numbers. They'll find it for you.
One of the Rooms We Love at HFH's Flickr page.
5. Flickr is the best place to find amazing photos for free (noncommercial use only). I've found some truly inspiring pictures there! And, HFH has a photostream there of inspiring interiors for your time-wasting pleasure.
6. It's no fun to buy a ticket to fly across the country only to find the fare has dropped a week later. Sign up with Yapta. They will moniter your flight information and if the fare drops, they'll let you know and help you get a refund. That'll get you some new vacation shoes!
7. Being an adult means being responsible and being responsible means prepping yourself for the worst. As much as we don't want our houses to be broken into, it happens. It happened to my parents and it was a nightmare. But fortunately for them, they were insured and had an inventory of all of the bigger items they owned. When it came time to replace them, they knew exactly where to start. If you need a place to start, go to Stuff Safe. They make it easy to upload pictures of your stuff with descriptions and values. And hopefully, you'll never need to use it!
Have a lovely day with the little bit of random from See Jane Work.
8. Work can be boring. Make it better with cute office supplies. Okay, so they won't make your job suddenly exciting, but they're nicer to look at than your basic black Swingline. See Jane Work has some of the most fun supplies around.9. Hate your boss? (Even if I did, I couldn't tell you here!) Let 'em have it without getting fired by posting an anonymous rant on Work Rant.
10. For all of you book fiends out there (Eclectorator, I'm looking at you!) check out What Should I Read Next? Just enter the title or author of a book you loved and it will give you 10 suggestions that you will also love. I tried it, and it was dead-on.
11. Why would you want to pay for shipping when you could not pay for shipping. Go to Free Shipping On for the inside scoop on free shipping from over 500 stores.
They have a ton of fantastic, time saving, just-plain-cool sites on their list. Enjoy perusing the internet!